Public Sector Group Lead
Public Sector Group LeadAbidjan, Côte d'Ivoire •
We're making Africa the first cashless continent.
In 2017, over half the population in Sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
We're solving this by building financial services that just work: no account fees, instantly available, and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always work, you can still send money with Wave. In November 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments.
In 2019, we expanded to Cote d'Ivoire. Now, we have millions of users and are growing fast.
Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent and that's where you come in.....
How you'll help us achieve it
We have launched several business products and are looking to scale up the acquisition of new businesses for these products. The Public Sector Group Lead will help us scale revenue and grow our user base of payers to the next level by acquiring public sector partners across several key sectors like the health, education, and transport sectors.
In this role, you'll;
- Be responsible for bringing public sector partners across different categories like health (public hospitals), education (universities), and transport sectors for Wave business products, including APIs, bulk payment, collection, and merchant payments. You will participate in developing clear targets in line with the company’s ambitious growth targets for its payment business by mapping out the public sector partners in CI. You’ll own the strategies for acquiring these partners and achieving the company's overall sales targets.
- Work closely with Business Development, Public Policy, and senior leadership to develop strategic and coordinated approaches to prospecting public sector partners and closing key deals.
- Be revenue-focused on how we can cross-sell products to our clients, evangelize the products, and own acquisition of new businesses
- Proactively communicate and document product requirements of public sector partners to inform the product roadmap as the acquisition of Public Sector partners will be over long sales cycles, and staying in alignment with product teams on product change prioritization will be important.
- Document and share progress on partner acquisition to support organizational planning, financial forecasting, budget setting, and strategic planning.
- Establish and foster partnerships and relationships with senior individuals across relevant sectors to achieve your objectives.
- Monitor relevant tenders for proposals and prepare proposal documents as relevant.
- Work collaboratively across teams - including Compliance, Engineering, Product, and Marketing- and within the Payment team (Sales, Distribution, Admin) to effectively achieve objectives.
- Location: You'll work from our office in Abidjan and may travel to field locations within Cote d'Ivoire.
- Work authorization in Cote d'Ivoire.
- Our salaries are competitive and calculated using a transparent formula. We run performance reviews twice a year and award bonuses to strong performers who have been with the company for more than 6 months.
- We pay 100% of your health care insurance premium cost for yourself and your dependents.
- We support working parents - we offer generous parental leave policies (26 weeks for mothers and 4 weeks for fathers) and subsidized childcare when you return to work.
- We help you live your fullest life now- we subsidize gym memberships and fitness classes.
- Airtime reimbursement.
- Free food and a beautiful office space
- Fluent in English & French.
- Previous experience in sales/business development.
- 7+ years of experience in sales, especially in mobile money/financial services.
- Worked in the field force with a proven track record in building segmentation and targeting.
- Demonstrated analytical abilities and problem-solving skills.
- Industry experience and the use of a CRM are a plus.
You might be a good fit if you
- Slow-moving processes or partners frustrate you, but you’re inclined to lean into the problem and push however you can rather than accept a slow pace.
- A clear and proactive communicator, you can independently follow through on tasks and manage priorities effectively.
- You know how to navigate working with senior partners and stakeholders by spotting and seizing upon mutually beneficial opportunities.
- You like teamwork, but you also know how to work well independently
- Have a strong network and enjoy meeting new people
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done
- We have a rapidly growing in-country team in Senegal, Côte D'Ivoire, Mali, Burkina Faso, Gambia, and Uganda, plus remote team members spread across the world. We're deeply passionate about our mission of bringing radically affordable financial services to the people who need them most.
- We foster autonomy for our employees. You'll own your projects at every stage, from understanding the problem to monitoring your solution in production.
- We’re backed by world-class investors, including Founders Fund, Sequoia Heritage, Stripe, Ribbit Capital, Y Combinator, and Partech Africa.
How to apply
Fill out the form below, and upload a resume in English.
Please add a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role.
Wave is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.